Sunday, October 02, 2005

Stages meme

KhadijaTeri has this meme up. Even though she don't even know me, Ima act like she was gonna tag me cuz I like memes. Ok? Ok.

Yesterday- I chilled all morning, washed some clothes, sent out resumes. Talked to Nishat at night while cooking food (mashed potatoes and salmon). Was having a lazy stage.
Oh, and got shocked into doing a budget since money gon' be tight 'round here this winter.

1 year ago- at this stage in my life I was a despairing teacher in San Juan. Ramadan was almost here and I didn't have enough money to pay my rent. Or various other bills including my credit card and phone. I was working 40 hour plus weeks. I spent a lot of time in Borders in Plaza Las Americas. Tropical Storm Jeanne had already passed through on her way to loop-de-looping before hitting southern Florida.

5 years ago- lesseee... 5 years ago right now... I was a sophomore in college. Had just come off of my best GPA ever, and thought I was about to pledge a certain sorority. I was a member of several student groups, including GWU MSA. I was living in Madison and not fighting with my roomates. And working at Starbucks on the side. My hair was short and curly and bright yellow like the leaves. Life was bliss.

10 years ago- I was going through a major upheaval- leaving all my friends of many years to transfer from the IB/Bilingual high school to the kick-arse college prep public high school I graduated from. I didn't want to do it, but at the same time the school was full of drugs, thugs, and pregnant girls, and I was terrified. So my (sainted) mother pulled some strings and got me into Walnut late in the year, for which I will always love her.

5 snacks I enjoy: 1) sweet apple slices with peanut butter. 2) pb&j on potato bread- mmmmm carbs! 3) popcorn- plain w/salt, or w/ a lot of butter. 4)non-red kosher/halal jello with whipped cream on top. Oh yeah. 5) any kind of cookes, but I grew up with oreos and chips ahoys and home-baked goodies. Yahhh.
Bonus: these are if I don't have fresh apricots, peaches, plums, cherries, grapes, or bananas available, I love sweet fruit out of the hand.

5 songs I know all the words to Out of the many: 1) Lift Every Voice and Sing (bka the Black National Anthem) 2) The Puerto Rican National Anthem ("laaaa tierra de boriiinken, dond'he nacido yo..." 3) Every single song off of 'Songs in the Key of Life' by Stevie Wonder 4)Mi Tierra by Gloria Estefan 5) "Song for You" by Earth, Wind, and Fire

5 things I would do with $100 million: after I tithe my 2.5 percent, save 10 percent, and spread 3 percent through my family: 1) Pay for my grad school at Columbia and pay all the debt from undergrad 2) buy a house SMACK in the middle of DC and set up a trust so I wouldn't ever worry about losing it 3)Pay off my parents' home 4) Set up a scholarship for muslima converts in undergrad 5) Bide my time, then run for US president AND WIN

5 places I would run away to: 1) Puerto Rico 2) Tuskegee 3) Spain/Andorra 4) Brazil 5) Any other peaceful, international-style place near water.

5 things I would never wear:
1) Midriff top 2) a crucifix (never did never will) 3)too tight pants/skirt 4)relaxed hair 5)fake jewelry (allergic)

5 favorite TV shows: 1)CSI- the original 2) ER 3) Saturday Night Live 4) Anything Discovery Channel 5) by now I'm reading a book.

5 biggest joys: 1) Feeling really 'connected' and blessed in prayer (or anytime) 2) Any and every time my family unites 3) Winning the co-presidency Sr. year 4)Skinny dipping on Culebra under the moon 5) singing whole heartedly

5 favorite toys: um. Now? 1) books. Books. books. 2) my crochet hooks and a wide assortment of yarn 3) my watercolor kit, crayons, and coloring book... can't think of any more.

5 People to take this challenge: Nishat, Aleksa, Sherry, TRK The Rabbi's Kid, and UmmZaid.

4 comments:

  1. "5 things I would never wear: 1) Midriff top 2) a crucifix (never did never will) 3)too tight pants/skirt 4)relaxed hair 5)fake jewelry (allergic)"

    HA! NEVER leave the house w-out 4 out of 5, if not all of the above! But cut me some slack for #s 3 & 4, cause I have naturally straight hair & my butt got really big as of recent...

    M, you are very interesting & integuing and I like reading these things when you do them...
    I might not always agree with everything you have to say- but it's nice to know at the very least, should I need someone to run off with me to S. America and eat cookies, popcorn & pbj with- I can count on you :)
    Aleksa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to south america too you bitches!

    see tryin to cut me out!

    You guys probably talk about all this cool stuff on aleksa's secret blog and then all I get generic public posts.

    !OH!
    *shakes head*

    sorry all this nyquil made me have a melinda moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, Sherry, Miss TwennyTwo might be exciting, new and flashy to me right now- but you'll always be my one and only :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaams: OK I'm doing this now, but go check my blog. I tagged you on the meme titled "Seven Mas Cositas" that I did the otehr day. -- Umm Zaid

    ReplyDelete