Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy 2006

Assalaamu Alaikum wa Ramatullah wa Barakatuh

HAPPY 2006.
Insha'llah we'll have a 2006 that is a blessing of experiences; we'll taste joy, success, humility, challenges, and contentment in equal measure; and God will lift us in our worst moments and keep us at all times. Amin.

I've been (relatively) incognegro, because I'm finally here at my mother's side. Haven't had time or inclination to go out much. I'm writing this now only b/c she'll be asleep for about another hour. Mama is getting better; she's walking more and complaining more, so mashallah for that. I'll be returning to the DC grind this week so I'm enjoying every moment with her that I can. Saving it up as it were since I don't know that I'll be back in ohio for some months at the least.

Decisions, Decisions

I've started my year continuing some habits that I started strongly toward the end of last year, including being open and communicating my needs, truly listening to what others are telling me, and doing a couch-to-5K training program I found on the internet. I've been very responsible when it comes to my position at the elementary school and am looking (right now!) for books and other materials to help my independent students. Insha'Allah I'll have all the business, work, and money I need this year because of this.

Two major decisions: I'm going to complete the credits necessary to earn a full teaching cert in DC metro school systems; and I'm not going to Columbia University this fall.

That last is a biggie. I've been debating it for some time because it was my dream, not something I took lightly. Admission to CU was my main purpose in the fall of 2004 and the spring of 2005, and I had a lot of people help me on the way to getting it. However, the cost of the Mailman School is too much right now. I haven't finished the scholarship applications to my satisfaction, and I'm not sure I want to.

I did a really introspective exercise, one where I worked out my personal preferences and wants and skills, and y'know, public health was lower on the list. What I like to do, and do well, and would do for free if I had the means to live, is COMMUNICATE and TRANSLATE from one language to another and/or from one culture to another to promote understanding. My interest in the health professions is pretty strong, but secondary to that first skill and interest. And when I thought about what I was finding, that made sense. I've always tried to talk Public Health as something I would do professionally, but the things I do in my everyday life anyway, that make me happy, all have to do with talking, or communication, and really the interactions between English and Spanish, America and Spain and Puerto Rico, Black and Mainstream, my Islam and Americo-Christianity, that fascinates me. I do that with ease. I'm recognized for it and have been for a while. And I finally came to grips with the difference between what I say I want to do and what I'm good and happy in doing and I'm gonna go with it.

That does mean, though, that Mailman School is going to go without one of their best students this fall (being facetious, people). I do still want to get my master's, and earn the training as a nurse-midwife. That, especially, working with women and babies and health and such, will always be a fascination for me. But right now I'm going to focus on improving my stability and being happy with my life. I can best do that as a teacher. I'm looking into degree programs in languages and translation.
I feel as if it's an about face, but one that felt so immediately right and blessed that every decision I've made on it has been easy. Alhamdulillah.

OK, gotta run- got other stuff to do online before Mama wakes up.

Show someone you know some love!

peace
TwennyTwo

4 comments:

  1. Im showing you love marisa!!!!
    I love you woman and Im going to call your ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you told me you were out here. I was sooo wondering where and how you were. Now I can keep up with you through your blog. And don't worry, no names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a very excellent blog. i like your articles you come at things from an angle i am not used to and i find that refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and if you do become a midwife, i'm so hiring you.

    ReplyDelete