Thursday, October 02, 2008

Eid Mubarak 1429

Assalamu Alaikum,

Eid Mubarak.

Eid is wonderful, a celebration, a time of joy. A time off the job. A time of respite.

I'm sad and I don't like Eid very much. After the first day I'm bereft. No meal to wait for as the sun's last rays disappear. No tarawih prayers to make the night bright, to lift the heart. No seeing friends and loved ones every day. No special reason for everyone to exercise more patience, more love. Ramadhan is over.

So Eid is bittersweet for me, spiritually. I want Ramadhan to last all year. As a convert I feel that I lose my family, the closeness, for eleven months out of the year. That's not quite true. But the larger sense of community- the people I saw only during Ramadhan will disappear back into their lives agagin. I miss them already.

I know I'm supposed to be happy. I am. I am. I am, I protest.

I hope to find blessings in this Eid, and I wish the same to you.

peace

1 comment:

  1. Eid Mubarak sis. At least you had Ramadhan, thank Allah for that. I feel I missed it completely this year because I was sick and had to have surgery and couldn't fast or do any of the wonderful Ramdhan activities. Alhamdulillah. Through it I learned how much my husband loves me and how much my family cares about me; so I don't want to complain. Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete